I decided to be semi-creative with the title, but that’s about all the creativity you’ll get from me.
- Graduate from college-this will take the majority of the year but I will do it.
- Finish Middlemarch. I started it last week and I’m only three chapters in.
- Knit at least six pairs of socks. Last year, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee created a self-imposed sock club in which she created twelve kits including a pattern and some yarn to make a pair of socks every month. Well, SPM is a much more experienced knitter than I am and so I am starting a little more slowly. I’m going to commit to a pair of socks every two months with the intention of trying to get each pair done in a month. I’m starting by making these socks in green and I’m pretty excited about them.
- I have two knitting patterns up my sleeve and I’m hoping to get them both out into the world this year. One was inspired by a sweater that Hermione Granger wears in the newest Harry Potter movie. The other is inspired by my imagination, current fashion trends, and by some of my favorite literary heroines. And if you want to know how all that can fit together, well stick around until a sweater pattern with a name from a Jane Austen novel gets posted.
- I want to spend a week in Pittsburgh. I know I went there in the spring of 2010, but I want to go again this year.
- I want to knit my brother a sweater.
- I want to knit at least five sweaters this year. That includes the one for my brother, one for my friend Jenn that is currently “on needle,” and both of the patterns referenced in goal #4. But I also want to make Katie and Jenny sweaters for their birthdays, so I somehow feel that this will turn into making at least six sweaters. We’ll see.
- I want to read Interior Castles by St. Teresa of Jesus. I own it; that’s the easy part. St. Teresa is a great personal heroine of mine and I want to learn more about her and learn from her.
- I want to read a book from an author that I’ve never read before-not because I have to read it for a class but because I want to and because someone I trust recommended it to me.
- I want to knit a cowl. I’ve never made one before-or even worn one. But I think it’s something that I would like and that would be useful to me.
- I want to be more patient. Now this might sound strange, but bear with me. I just listed off numerous knitting projects (sweaters, gloves, cowls) that I want to make. And as SPM said, “I don’t knit because I’m patient. I’m patient because I knit.” Ergo, What I want in 2011 is this…more knitting time. I want more time to sit and read a good book in peace, more time to knit and drink a lovely mug of tea, more time to relax. I don’t know how I’ll get that, but I’d really like it if I could get that.