- So it’s June, June 2 to be precise. This means that there are only 29 shopping days left until my birthday and Canada’s birthday. While I’m not sure what the Great White North wants for its birthday, I have an Amazon.com wish list where you can peruse my dreams, hopes, and desires. And I want a Knit Picks ball winder. Or a mug that says something about how I am excessively diverted.
- In addition to this, I finished one of those socks I was working on the other day. The second sock in the pair has to wait until I get that package I ordered from Knit Picks on Tuesday…and then accidentally had it sent to my old address, so it won’t get here for about a week since the USPS will have to forward to me at my current address.
- In the past two weeks, I have fallen in love with two amazing songs: Adele’s cover of Bob Dylan’s “Make You Feel My Love” and Regina Spektor’s Samson.
- I have read both The Fountainhead and Brave New World. Now I just need to figure out what angles i want to teach them from. I think for BNW I want to use comparisons to other dystopian works-like The Giver, the Hunger Games trilogy, and Equilibrium.
- If you haven’t read The Hunger Games yet, go do it. Now. Especially if you want to teach English to middle schoolers or high schoolers.
- Today is the Feast of the Ascension. (In German, that’s Christi Himmelfahrt.) After all, Jesus ascended into heaven 40 days after his Resurrection, not forty days or the nearest Sunday to 40 days after. And Pentecost was 10 days after the Ascension, not 7. Dear Roman Catholic Bishops of American, please take a lesson from your English brothers and move Ascension and Epiphany/Theophany back to their original dates. Some people might like to celebrate the Twelfth Night and Ascension Thursday.
- I’m getting off the soapbox now. I really just want to see those Holy Days put back on their appropriate dates. I have this thing for the significance of numbers like 12 and 40.