It is now time to announce one of my favorite parts of the year-the Third Annual International Pride and Prejudice Appreciation Day. Yet again, the venerable Katie and I have created our favourite holiday of the year. The Facebook event can be found here. And a list of suggested ways to celebrate can be found below. (It can also be found on the FB page.)
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.
It is also a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.
Furthermore, it is yet another truth universally acknowledged that we must set aside one day out of the year to celebrate the greatest novel written in the English language.
Join us wherever you are for festivities that would scandalize Lady Catherine DeBourgh and shock Mr. Collins.
I have been asked how to best celebrate this event. Well, here are my humble suggestions:
1) Watch the movie-with friends, of course!
2) Drink tea.
3) Quote the book.
4) Read the book aloud to friends.
5) Randomly greet friends with “It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of good fortune must be in want of a wife.”
6) Say “Capital, capital” whenever anyone says ANYTHING to you.
7) Pack your trunk, re-pack it according to Lady Catherine’s instructions, then re-pack it in any way that you want because Lady Catherine will never know.
8) Appreciate the shelves in your closet, which are the very essence of economy and convenience–happy thought indeed!
9) Make sport for your neighbors, and laugh at them in your turn.
10) Have compassion on poor Mrs. Bennett’s nerves (or, as an alternate activity, cough as you please).
11) Buy a chimney piece that’s worth 8,000 pounds and enjoy the nice blaze.
12) Take a turn about the room because it is a very refreshing exercise and it sets your figure to a better advantage for Mr. Darcy.
13) Visit your fencing master. At the end of your visit, make a fist and say, “I shall conquer this. I shall.”
14) Play the piano in an out-of-the-way room where you shall bother no one.
15) When tired say “Lordy, I’m soooooo tired.”
16) Go to Brighton.
17) Take a swim in the lake at Pemberly and then very awkwardly greet the love of your life soaking wet.
18) If anyone asks you what you think of something, you should say “tolerable, I suppose, but not handsome enough to tempt me!”
And I’ll think of more in the next three months.
So please do join in! Darcy will be ever so disappointed if you don’t.