I’ve recently finished another test knit for Thea Colman, and now that the pattern is published, I’m thrilled to show y’all how gorgeous this sweater is.
Oaxacan Rose is a fairly simple pullover knit almost entirely in seed stitch with a very simple cable motif in the middle of the front.
I knit my sweater using Malabrigo Twist in the gorgeous colorway “Teal Feather.” I love how the seed stitch works with this yarn. The thickness of the yarn is perfect, and the color is delightful. The detail on the cable is just stunning. Fitting with the general pattern, it’s very simple. The pattern is very simple. It’s not a challenging knit in any way-as long as you know how to knit seed stitch and cable both right and left, it’s an easy pattern to knit.
I’m really glad that I was able to test this for Thea. I really love Malabrigo Twist, and I’d never even heard of it, let alone knit with it before this. But it came highly recommended, and it really lives up to the hype.
The only issue that I have with this sweater is that I finished it in April and the pattern is coming out in May. I won’t get to really appreciate this sweater until next fall. You’ll notice if you look at the pattern versus my sweater that mine is more fitted. I’m generally not much for loose-fitting clothing, so I made my Oaxacan Rose more fitted to better suit my comfort level.
I love the neckline. It’s simple but classic.
I don’t think that it’s any kind of a secret that Thea Colman is one of my favorite designers. (And I swear that it’s not just because we share a love of cocktails.) So naturally, when I learned that she was looking for knitters to test a new sweater pattern for her, I jumped on the chance. After some back and forth with Thea, I bought six skeins of Harrisville Shetland (from Spun in Ann Arbor; I love that place!) in Garnet and set to work knitting/testing Thea’s new design, Angostura.
Angostura is all kinds of fun. The front and sleeves are simple-just straightforward stockinette. The sleeves made great movie watching knitting back in January. But the back…oh man, the back is where the action is. The back is a lively cable panel that looks far more complex/intimidating than it really is.
The sweater is knit bottom up and then the sleeves and body are joined at the yoke. Thea used saddle sleeves to make everything flow together smoothly. This is one of the best things about this pattern. I was talking to a friend on Skype while working the first saddle, and I was a bit wary of the saddle as I’ve only ever used it for Chartreuse before. However, the directions were clear and easy to follow. In no time, I was back to talking to Laura and barely looking at the pattern.
This was my first time using a Harrisville yarn, and it won’t be my last. Before I started, Thea commented that Harrisville was really going to “pop” the cables, and she was so right. I really love how the yarn looks with those cable. The tweeding of the dye is consistent, and subtle, which allows the cables to really show off.
At some point last fall-maybe in September, I started seeing pictures of an absurdly fabulous cabled cardigan pop up on Thea Colman’s instagram feed. I was smitten, and I knew that I had to buy this pattern and knit it up-as soon as Thea released the pattern. By mid-November, I knew that the pattern would be released about a week before Thanksgiving.
Shortly before Thea released the pattern, I received my November shipment for the Tanis Fiber Arts Year in Colour. When I saw the “cloudless” color, I knew that this was the color that I had to knit this sweater out of. So, once Thea released the pattern, which we all now know as Chartreuse, I contacted Tanis and asked her if I could place a special order for a sweater quantity of cloudless on orange label-her worsted weight wool/cashmere/silk blend. She got it to me by early December, and then it was just a matter of finishing up my other WIPs so I could make this sweater.
To sweeten the deal for me, Thea is hosting a Knit-Along in her Ravelry group that began in early January, and that provided me with extra motivation to knit the sweater. I finished it yesterday-a mere 34 days after I started it, and I’m completely in love with this sweater. The pattern is straightforward and easy to follow; it’s also MUCH easier than I thought it might be. And it’s beautiful. As soon as I knew the sweater was done blocking, I put it on. And I’m refusing to ever take it off ever. I’m planning on living in this sweater.
I used approximately seven skeins of orange label to make the sweater, and I’m completely thrilled with the end result. I love the way that orange label makes cables squooshier. It’s a warm, snuggly sweater, and it’s exactly what I need for this cold winter we’re having.
And for the record, I’m planning on making another one at some point in the not too distant future.